There are many outdoor chores to do around the house in the spring, but there are several things to do indoors as well to keep up good maintenance on your entire home. Here are five suggestions for things to do that are often neglected in your home. These will help you to keep on top of things and can also save you money in the end:
- A good place to start is with safety in the home. Test and dust all alarms and detectors. Then install new batteries. Also, check the fire extinguishers to make sure the pressure valve is working, which should be done at least once a month.
- As you prepare for the warmer weather it’s time to get the air conditioning system ready. Check the air conditioner drain lines to make sure water can move freely through the line. Cleaning the drain screen usually does the trick. Then replace the air conditioner filter, which should be done every one to three months to make sure the unit is running as efficiently as possible.
- Clean all the vents in the house and make sure they are open and nothing is blocking them. Remove dust from the covers to help them run more efficiently.
- Protect your home from leaks. Start in the attic and look for any signs where the roof may be leaking after the harsh winter weather. Then examine all interior plumbing to check for leaks.
- Look for gaps around the windows and door frames and reseal with caulking. It is also a good time to inspect bathrooms and the kitchen as well and recaulk as needed.